[squid-users] HTTPS connections through squid transparent

From: Ryan Turnbull <rturnbull_at_utilitran.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:09:04 -0600

Hello to all,
    I'm going to ask a question that has probably been answered a
million times.... but what is one more.

    I'm trying to make a perfect squid configuration that allows
http/https connections. I would like to make it so users/devices do not
have to configure a proxy to be able to access the internet seamlessly.
I have had this working with the tranparent option on the http_port in
squid 3.0. However, as many users discovered, you CANNOT transparent
proxy https connections with squid/iptable rules, simply does not work.
HTTPS connection do work in squid, but you have to define the proxy in
the browser settings which is another problem altogether. And as much
doesn't work for anything other than your own https webservers. That is
it will NOT work for like your https connection to your bank or https
connection through to your webmail on your isp.

    So my question is, what is the best way to have internet protocol
traffic through squid without having to go to everyones browser and set
the proxy settings/allow all 443 traffic direct to internet. WPAD?? Web
page explaining how to set proxy?? This is absolutely driving me
nuts..... please help!

--
*Ryan Turnbull*
Network Administrator