[squid-users] Re: squid 3.1.6 icap problem

From: Holger Hoffstaette <holger.hoffstaette_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 21:11:37 +0200

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 19:30:55 +0200, John Doe wrote:

> Today I wanted to upgrade from Squid 3.1.5 to Squid 3.1.6, but
> unfortunately I ran into a few problems, one of them was an icap problem
> (1), the other one is related to IPv6 (2) I suppose. I am running RHEL5.5
> 64 Bit with a lot of RAM and a lot of CPUs.
[..]
> (2) comm_open: socket failure: (97) Address family not supported by
> protocol I read that this is related to IPv6, so I tried to compile squid
> 3.1.6 with --disable-ipv6, but it did not change anything at all.

I can confirm the second problem - same error message. I also had built
3.1.5 with --disable-ipv6 (on Gentoo, with the appropriate USE flag) and
had no problems with it, but according to the changelog 3.1.6 now does
detection at runtime and this does not fully work any more.
In my case I could use squid from a WinXP client with Firefox (configured
to explicitly force IPv4 addresses), but not with a Firefox Twitter
plugin - which seems to use Firefox' proxy settings, but apparently not
the enforcement (?). I have no idea why, but not using the the proxy or
reverting to 3.1.5 fixed things. And no, it was not a temporary false
positive ;)

Holger