[squid-users] Re: Linux EXT3 optimizations for Squid

From: Heinz Diehl <htd_at_fancy-poultry.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:32:30 +0200

On 08.08.2010, Marcus Kool wrote:

> vm.swappiness=20
> vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

Do you have some numbers that actually show a significant improvement?

I think at least swappiness should better be 100 here, to free as much as
possible memory. Unused applications hanging around for a long
time can conserve quite a lot of pagecache which otherwise could be used
actively.

The inode cache on a system with 4 TB of diskspace is not more than ca.
400-500 MB, I doubt it makes sense to increase the kernels focus
on reclaiming more pagecache (which you trying to preserve by lowering
swappiness).