[squid-users] Slow basic authentication

From: Bucci, David G <david.g.bucci_at_lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 05:00:21 -0400

Hi - I've got Squid configured on both the client and server (reference recent discussions on establishing an SSL tunnel for all traffic from a client to a server -- I'm using that configuration, though I've yet to turn on the SSL).

I'm seeing inconsistent, and generally slow behavior when accessing our origin server, which requires basic authentication. Sometimes the browser prompts for uid/pw, sometimes it doesn't, and often it takes a loooong time.

Using the Windows distro of 2.7 from Acme, build 8.

Are there any tuning options necessary when caching against servers that send back a 401 initially? Though I didn't think it was correct, I've tried login=PASS on the cache_peer line in the client.

Note that I have cache deny all set, on both the client and the serve, and proxy-only in the client's cache_peer parent line -- we're proxying access to web service calls, all of which should return unique results, so no caching needed/wanted.

When I set Firefox to NOT use the procy, there I no slowdown, I get immediately prompted for uid/pw.

Thx!

----
David G. Bucci
david.g.bucci_at_lmco.com
When Dr. Bruce Banner becomes angry, he changes into the Incredible Hulk; when the Incredible Hulk becomes angry, he changes into Chuck Norris.
                            -- ChuckNorrisFacts.com