[squid-users] Squid + IPFW on Mac OS X

From: Haravikk <me_at_haravikk.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 20:34:52 +0100

Been bashing my brains out on this one for ages, but I'm going to have to admit defeat, as network stuff really isn't my thing.

Basically, I'm installing Squid on my local machine, and want it to handle outgoing requests to a particular port, unfortunately the app in question (Second Life) does not support OS defined proxy servers, so I'm forced to try and redirect it. The only solution really is ipfw I think, I've already corrected for the weird OS X.6 issue with ipfw forwarding which now works as it should.

I've compiled Squid3 with the ipfw transparent support that is required to use the intercept option.

Configuration sets up Squid3 to listen on port 3128, and also to intercept on port 3178. This appears to work correctly.

So now all I need is to set up an IPFW rule to direct traffic to 3178, and I've done the following:

100 fwd 127.0.0.1,3178 from any to any dst-port 12046

However this seems to generate a loop whereby traffic from Second Life is routed to localhost:3178, but traffic from squid is also routed to the same address (itself!)

I'm completely stumped on how I go about telling ipfw to only redirect messages from Second Life to port 12046, and allow requests from squid so that it can actually do its thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I've bounced around various articles in Google to little avail, either I just don't understand what the solutions have been, or none of them are working for some reason because I'm missing a step somewhere.

Thanks!
Haravikk