Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy Cache ONLY Relative URL

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 00:22:42 +0000

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:43:45 -0500, "Sokol, Ryan - 1244" <ryans_at_HA.com>
wrote:
> Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can't seem to find it
under
> what I'm searching.
>
> I have 2 squids set up as reverse proxies and are load balanced for the
> URL http://www.domain.com. I am trying to precache certain objects
before
> my users see them by visiting those URLs (i.e.
> http://www.domain.com/object.html). Since the squids are load-balanced,
> their caches are not identical. Each squid has a 50% chance of getting
> hit. So if I want to ensure that the object is cached for my users, the
> cached object has to be on both squids. The only way I can force a
> particular squid to be used, is to go to it directly (i.e.
> http://squid1.domain.com/object.html &
> http://squid2.domain.com/object.html). But when I try this method, the
> full URL (including the host and domain) are cached instead of the real
> domain my users hit.
>
> Is there any way to configure squid to only cache the piece after the
top
> level domain?

Definitely not. Relative URLs are not unique. Visit the "/" page from
http://example.com/ and imagine what complaints you would get if it
appeared instead of your own website "/" page.

* There is no requirement for you to send the absolute URL
"http://squid1.domain.com/object.html" to your squid1. You can as easily
contact it directly:
  squidclient -h squid1 http://www.example.com/object.html

* Also, pre-caching has a very limited set of uses. Check that you
actually need to do this before wasting bandwidth.

Amos