Re: [squid-users] [Help] Reverse Proxy: suspend bulk requests for invalid urls

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 00:27:28 +1200

On 10/05/11 20:58, Le Trung Kien wrote:
> Hi, we're trying Squid v3 for reverse proxy using, and explore that we
> receive too many access requests for old invalid URLs from client and
> this makes our Squid Caches slow down our original servers by
> attempting sending requests to retrieve information from original
> servers.
>
> This is from our squid cache.log:
>
> WARNING: HTTP: Invalid Response: No object data received for
> invalid_urls AKA invalid_urls
>
> I have questions that:
> Is there any way to delay or suspend squid's responding for these
> repeated requests after certain times squid cannot retrieve content
> for invalid URLs and return a default error page ?

First, make sure that "negative_ttl" directive is *absent* from your
squid.conf

Then fin out why your origin servers are producing garbage instead of a
404 or 30x reply like they should be.

Squid is capable and will cache both 404 replies and 30x redirects if
the origin sets the headers correctly to allow caching. ie Expires:
header a year in the future, or Last-Modified some time in the past with
storage friendly Cache-Control: values.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1