[squid-users] squid too many connections to cache_peers

From: Or Gerson <OrG_at_Websplanet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 15:05:52 +0000

Hello everyone,

I have squid 3.0.STABLE19-1 installed.
And 3 apache cache_peers.

I find that squid is opening a lot of connections to the web servers a lot more than the connections he is receiving from clients, also squid doesn't close them and they are in TIME_WAIT status.
For example: in squid I see 324 TIME_WAIT connections
On each server I see around 800 TIME_WAIT connections

The cache_peers are configured with round-robin, but why squid doesn't closes the connections?

Can't squid use one connection for each peer and send and receive all requests through that connection (although that probably will cause performance problems in the apache side because he won't uses all apache server processes)?

I prefer solving the problem from the squid but I thought maybe enabling one of these options:
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse

Thanks for the help,

Or Gerson
This message, together with its attachments, contains information from
WebsPlanet Ltd., which is privileged and confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this message in
error, then please notify us immediately by e-mail to info_at_websplanet.com,
and delete all copies of this message and its attachments.