[squid-users] Sponsor etag/vary support for Squid 3.3

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:51:54 +0000

Hi, Alex,

I'm picking up an old thread from some time back. I remain interested
in getting support for etag into squid (and related revalidate support).

My main requirement is that I have two proxies on either side of a
bandwidth limited link (with high cost). I want the situation that when
a client GETs some object, we can convert this to an IF-NONE-MATCH and
trust the etag confirms that the object is unchanged.

Note, I am aware of the limitations of trusting etags. In my setup I
will have control over the proxy on the high speed side of the
connection and we can use various methods on that side to ensure that
the etags are sane. The main goal is to minimise bandwidth across the
intermediate (expensive) link.

Previously we discussed all kinds of complex ideas including
implementing trailers, and custom headers with hash values. On
reflection I think everything required can be done using only etag
revalidation (and some tweaking of etags, but squid needs know nothing
about that...)

If anyone else is interested in such support then please shout. Alex,
would you mind picking this up with me again with a view to sponsoring
development?

Thanks

Ed W