Re: domain-based restrictions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik.nordstrom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:22:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Normally this wouldn be that painful as if you only allow your domain
> to request you would have the DNS records for this domain also locally
> so DNS request wont take seconds ....

But since there is no support for suspending the "thread" while
checking ACLs in the current design in Squid, the lookup has to
be blocking, and that is blocking on the whole Squid process
(everything stops, not only the request in question).

The design will probably be changed in 1.1, to support this.
(the hard part is not the DNS lookup, it is to temporary suspend
the request until the DNS data is available, while processing
ACL lists. Squid is NOT multithreaded (it is built around non
blocking I/O), so each processing has to be short to allow for
a continous flow on all open files/requests.

---
Henrik Nordstrom