Re: [squid-users] monitor for port 3138 and 3130

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 23:11:00 +0100

Deb Heller-Evans wrote:

> If I were to connect to port 3128, what string could I send to
> test whether I received the correct response?

GET <url> HTTP/1.0
[blank line]

where <url> is a URL you want to fetch via the proxy. If only probing
then use for example one of the internal icons used in FTP directory
listings...

> Also, if I were to connect to port 3130 (ICP port), what string
> could I send to test whether I received the correct response?

ICP is UDP based so you cannot connect there. But you can send a ICP
query message. The ICP message format is described in RFC 2186, and I
think there is a Perl module on CPAN if you are using perl for your
probes.

Also note that Squid can be monitored using SNMP. This can provide you
with quite some details on how the proxy performs, and can easily be
plotted using MRTG or a similar tool.

Squid hacker
MARA Systems AB, Sweden