[squid-users] What's the Difference between Proxy and Accelerator Mode?

From: Costa, Todd (DMH) <Todd.Costa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:06:15 -0500

Hi everyone,

        I am curious because of a recent post. If I am running a transparent
proxy "per say" and have accelerator mode turned on. That means I am not
running a proxy? Yet I have acl working nicely...for content control (no
porn, not even by accident). I guess I need to understand this a little more
from others.

---My Story---
        A couple of thoughts, I have followed the transparency setup notes
that I have found on the subject. Once I got the settings I wanted up and
running I moved to test it in production. (Could be wrong here) The only
way, I actually got it to work for me was to tell my pc clients that the
SQUID Box was their gateway via DHCP. Now I have got logging and control of
http traffic using iptables for checking traffic and pushing it through
Squid if it's http requests (port 80). Everything else passes on and out to
the original gateway to where it needs to go.

---How you ask---
        First to overcome two problems. My first problem was to not have to
ask for changes in the client settings within the browser (controlled by
others) via NT reg policies. I wanted and needed to do this at the network
level (my realm of responsibility). The other problem too, was I don't
control the WAN Cisco router either (another party controls that). So I
needed and wanted a way to avoid the politics but provide support to my
direct customer as needed. That was why I choose transparency mode in the
first place.

---Another Question---
        Based on what I said above, I really don't need transparency mode
nor accelerator mode do I for my situation? Reason I say this is because I
am using Iptables to redirect requests for port 80 to port 3128 then Squid
goes through its acl lists and accepts or denies the request. The Linux Box
is a gateway to a gateway right? I don't need accelerator mode because I am
not servicing a local web server nor others for that matter. Transparent
mode, well I am not certain if I need that now. Or even if that's what I
have done here.

        Well, maybe someone can talk more about this... Thanks for listening
if you have read this far.

Todd M. Costa
Cape & Islands Community Mental Health Center
EDP II, LAN Manager

"Work Smarter, Not Harder....Use Open Source Solutions"