RE: [squid-users] adaptive refresh..

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:21:45 +0100

> My boss, just discovered CacheFlow.. it's a cool lean, mean fighting
> machine.. but so is squid I tell him..

Sure squid is :)

> he's ready to let the two be set up, so we can compare their
> price/performance..
>
> Here's my problem.. I have set up squid 2.5 as an accelerator
> box (with the
> rproxy.patch)..
>
> but here comes my problem, in comparison with the cacheflow box..
>
> the cacheflow box, can be set up to refresh object's in the
> cache initially
> every 20 secs.. and then
> it adaptively - based upon how often the object actually
> changes it sets
> another refresh-rate.. thus saving
> capacity on the backend server..

see refresh_pattern.

Something I'd do is like (completely, utterly untested)

refresh_pattern jsp 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern html? 0 100% 10080
refresh_pattern jpg 1 100% 1440

etc etc.

format: "refresh_pattern" <regexp> <forced-valid> <percentage> <max-valid>

In this case the regexps are simple enough. The first line forces all
dynamic
content to be always re-fetched each time. The second says "html is
considered
fresh unless expressely reloaded for at most its age, and in any case not
more than 1 week", the third says "jpegs are valid for at least a minute, at
most their age, up to a day".

The algo is very clearly explained in squid.conf, and is WAY more
customizable
than anything CacheFlow has to offer. Only "disadvantage", the resolution is
in minutes, not seconds.

> This is the setup I have to compete with.. on squid, I can only set an
> update interval - to min. 1 minute.. -
> and I have journalists who updates somethings.. often.. and
> somethings not
> so often.. and they ofcourse want the changes
> to go on the site ASAP.. this is where the adaptive refresh
> is good.. cause
> perhaps they have to wait up to 5 min.. the first time,
> they change a page, after a longer time.. but the next time
> they change
> something, the adaptive refresh has lowered the time-between-refresh
> on that object.. while maintaining the higher
> time-between-refresh on the
> rest of the objects..
> This does save a lot of capacity, as old - never updated pages,
> automatically gets refreshed less often..

Just Ctrl-R (Ctrl-F5 in IE) while looking at that page, and anybody can
force a refresh for anybody.

--
	/kinkie