[squid-users] adaptive refresh..

From: Klavs Klavsen <ktk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:14:08 +0100

My boss, just discovered CacheFlow.. it's a cool lean, mean fighting
machine.. but so is squid I tell him..

he's ready to let the two be set up, so we can compare their
price/performance..

Here's my problem.. I have set up squid 2.5 as an accelerator box (with the
rproxy.patch)..

but here comes my problem, in comparison with the cacheflow box..

the cacheflow box, can be set up to refresh object's in the cache initially
every 20 secs.. and then
it adaptively - based upon how often the object actually changes it sets
another refresh-rate.. thus saving
capacity on the backend server..

This is the setup I have to compete with.. on squid, I can only set an
update interval - to min. 1 minute.. -
and I have journalists who updates somethings.. often.. and somethings not
so often.. and they ofcourse want the changes
to go on the site ASAP.. this is where the adaptive refresh is good.. cause
perhaps they have to wait up to 5 min.. the first time,
they change a page, after a longer time.. but the next time they change
something, the adaptive refresh has lowered the time-between-refresh
on that object.. while maintaining the higher time-between-refresh on the
rest of the objects..
This does save a lot of capacity, as old - never updated pages,
automatically gets refreshed less often..

I was hoping something like this, perhaps was in development - or possible
on squid? ..

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------
Klavs Klavsen, IT-coordinator and Systems Administrator at
Metropol Online - http://www.metropol.dk
Tlf. 33752700, Fax 33752720, Email ktk@metropol.dk

Private- Email klavs@klavsen.net - http://www.vsen.dk

It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other
people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do...
That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year
seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and
encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter