Re: [squid-users] ACL Problems

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:34:15 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Kelly wrote:

> If this is the problem, I'm worried. From what I've read over the past week
> it seems as if squid has real problems pulling info from /etc/hosts as
> opposed to the zone file. You at least have to compile with extra
> arguments, which I didn't do, and even then it seems like I've seen a lot of
> people writing saying they were having problems accessing the hosts file.
>
> If this is the problem, is there a quick & dirty way to make squid read from
> /etc/hosts instead of DNS?

I have recollection of someone doing it a couple of months ago.

If you can't find it you can always run two copies of bindv8 (or 9) on
your firewall. Make the "real" bind listen on the interface addresses and
have a "fake" or "internal" dns listen on 127.0.0.1. Your resolver would
pint to 127.0.0.1 and the internal DNS forwards to the real DNS. The only
information on the internal DNS is the address for virtualdomain.
Everything else that squid tries to resolve would be handled by external
DNS throuh forwarding.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell