Re: [squid-users] how to serve stale pages - if theoriginserver is dead..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 19:16:31 +0100

Robert Olsson wrote:

> Sorry, no solution, just wanted you to know you are not alone.
> I also want that feature. It would also be nice if one could have squid
> cache 'uncacheable' pages, just to be able to serve them in case of
> the origin server is down. Imagine you use squid as an accelerator,
> and the webserver has some strange operating system that requires patches
> and reboots all the time, it would be nice to serve stale pages,
> even those without last-modified or other cache-controls.... I think...

Squid does this to a limited extent today.

If Squid has an exired object cached, then it will give this object to
the client if revalidation fails, even if considered stale.

However, this requires that
a) The object was cached
b) The client did not forcibly bypass the cache by "reload".
c) That the feature actually works. Has not been tested in quite some
time...

Squid Hacker