[squid-users] ACL's and performance

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:26:04 -0500 (EST)

I'm running Squid 2.4S1 on a Sun Solaris 2.8 system. Squid currently runs
as an Authenticating Proxy server with no added ACL's other than the
standard ones.

I want to add a very simple ACL to detect a particular source domain and
destination domain and, if matched, allow access to the site _without_
authentication. My ACL is this:

acl no_auth_a src localhost
acl no_auth_b dstdomain .google.com
acl no_auth_c srcdomain .mcmaster.ca
http_access allow no_auth_b no_auth_c
http_access allow no_auth_a
acl domainusers proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow domainusers

The ACL works okay. I'm just wondering what sort of performance impact
ACL's have on Squid? Does each hit on the cache have to be checked by this
ACL or does Squid cache some of this so that every hit isn't examined.

-Mike