Re: [squid-users] ACL's and performance

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:03:30 +0100

Mike Diggins wrote:

> The ACL works okay. I'm just wondering what sort of performance impact
> ACL's have on Squid? Does each hit on the cache have to be checked by this
> ACL or does Squid cache some of this so that every hit isn't examined.

srcdomain will add some occational latency as Squid then needs to lookup
the domain of the requestor. Other than that such small ACL's should
only have a marginal impact on performance.

You may expericence performance problems if you are using very large ACL
lists, such as a url_regex list of thousands of entries. The performance
penalty varies a lot depending the type of ACL used and the size of the
list.

Squid hacker