Re: [squid-users] windows xp update problem

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:02:10 +0000

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 08:01:56PM +0800, M. Yu wrote:
> Something curious just came up. A user called me up to complain he can't
> get Windows XP Update to work when going thru our cache but he could do it
> if he bypasses the cache. I grep'ped access.log and the first instance of
> "update" related to Microsoft was a MISS (logical enuf). The next entry was
> a HIT (again logical enuf). Both referred to the file ident.cab (or
> something like that). My question is, why is IE spitting an error message
> that some error occurred and refuses to continue with the updates?
>
> I'm sure Win98/SE updates worked since I myself updated thru the web. It
> seems that only the XP update is barfing. Any ideas?

There are known problems in using Squid 2.2 with Windows Update, which
caught us out as although we use 2.4 locally, our parents are using 2.2.
Our solution has been to send windowsupdate requests directly.

Once I'd traced and reported the problem, Andrew Veitch of the JANET
webcache service did some further research into this and found no problem
with Squid 2.3STABLE4. Since you say you're using 2.3, yours may well be a
different problem.

For information, the problem in our case was that squid 2.2 was returning
"411 Length Required" errors when sent HEAD requests with Content-Length
headers of zero. Henrik suggests a patch for this in
http://list.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0006&L=squid&P=R11854

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------
Oxford University Computing Services ----------- Web: http://www.cynic.org.uk/