[squid-users] rfc: 'leet cache tuning; managing cache algorithm parameters (poss. add controls - RFE?)

From: Ben Ryan <ben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 05:12:08 +1100

hey all

does anyone know if there are any patches, plans or views on enhancing the
granularity of the cache management options, i.e., adding a couple of controls
so we can crank up the cache hit ratio, manage page update (last-modified?)
checks, object aging control...
basically I've done a lot of work with Catapults (MS Proxy1.0, 2.0, ISA) and it
has fantastic controls on the cache... I can chase up the regedit guide if
anyone wants. MSP supports stuff like a global max age limit, heuristic
prefetch, global age extension (boost your hit ratio, supreme for dialup
connections)... heaps of stuff you can hax0r to make your cache into a major
accelerator (ok, with some small costs of old pages, dead pages etc, but it was
never a prob and you just hit reload anyway).

What's the feeling on this stuff? useful enough to put on the roadmap at some
stage?? Comments welcome!

cheers

Ben Ryan, MCP(ixie)
Network Engineer