Re: [squid-users] squid rproxy - heavy load test.. summarization..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:24:40 +0100

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 19.46, Troels Arvin wrote:

> 3. alter /usr/include/bits/types.h so that __FD_SETSIZE
> is set to 8192 (line 98 the types.h my laptop system):
> #define __FD_SETSIZE 8192
> (this step is ugly; I wonder why the number of
> file-handles can't be explicitly configured when
> compiling squid - but it seems that __FD_SETSIZE
> is used in many different places in squid's source)

This is needed because GNU libc headers does not allow an applications to
dynamically change the __FD_SETSIZE at compile time, and it is the base of a
number of important data types.. Why this is I don't know as there is nothing
in the library depending on __FD_SETSIZE, or in the kernel...

> 5. Put a line like this in squid.conf:
> max_open_disk_fds 8192

This makes no difference as there cannot be 8192 disk filedescriptors of 8192
in total (many will be used for networking).

If you are tuning max_open_disk_fds, then it should be set to a suitable
backoff limit. Else leave it unconfigured to not confuse people.