Re: [squid-users] Where did all my memory go?

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:44:20 +0100

How large processes can your kernel support?

Squid is a single process, and because of kernel memory management limits it
is quite likely not capable of using all your RAM.

640MB for cache_mem is most likely a overkill. Remember that cache_mem is on
top of the other memory usage of Squid, not a limit of how much memory Squid
uses.

On Monday 19 November 2001 13.11, Palmer J.D.F. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just got one of my new squid machines up and running yet it has just
> ran out of memory and began to swap within 2hrs.
>
> I had a cache_mem of 640mb (it's 416Mb now) and 34Gb of cache_dir, which
> will increase to 68Gb as soon as my terminators arrive.
> The machine has 3Gb of RAM.
>
> I'm running,
> RedHat 7.2 Kernel2.4.7-10smp
> Squid 2.4.Stable2.
>
> MY configure options are --enable-snmp --enable-linux-netfilter
> --enable-storeio="diskd,ufs,aufs" --with-pthreads --with-aio-threads=32
>
> Does anyone have any idea where the memory is going? The squid process was
> registering 720Mb in top.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jezz Palmer.

> Jezz Palmer.
> Internet Systems Officer.
> Library and Information Services
> University of Wales, Swansea
> Singleton Park
> Swansea
> SA2 8PP
> Tel 01792 513260

MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support
Priority support or Squid enhancements available on request