Re: [squid-users] changing auth scheme

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:52:19 +0100

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 22.37, andreas.bichmann@kiosk.ch wrote:

> I just got the job to convert a squid installation from auth via IP to auth
> via UID/PW.
> This because the company is planning to use Citrix Metaframe and there all
> Citrix user
> come in with the IP of the server.
>
> My question is: Is it possible to restrict users in this scenario?

Sure thing. Is what is called proxy authetication.

Requires the users to have the proxy configured in their browser. You cannot
use proxy authentication in a transparently intercepting proxy.

> How will squid check if a reqest from the same IP is from a different user?

By the users login/password. IP is irrelevant unless you also perform access
controls based on IP...

MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support
Priority support or Squid enhancements available on request