[squid-users] (Q) Squid with on-the-fly gzip compression

From: Hyunchul Kim <hckim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:01:47 +0900

Greetings!!!

would like to ask a few questions on on-the-fly gzip compression at Squid.

1) Does current version of (2.4 or 2.5) Squid support (gzip) compression
   when they retrieve an object from Web Server and deliver it to their clients?

   what I mean is, even in the case that Web server send a normal uncompressed
   object, we would like make Squid compress it at cache and deliver
   the compressed (gzipped) object to clients for bandwidth saving on our
   network. (between cache and client)

2) If not, are there any patches or codes to make Squid do the above operations?
   where can i get these things?

could i please get your answers on the above questions as soon as possible?
i thought there was some discussion on the above issues on this list,
but i could not remember the answers exactly.

many thanks in advance.

 - hckim

Hyunchul Kim                        E-mail  : hckim@cosmos.kaist.ac.kr
System Architecture Lab.            Phone   : +82-42-869-3554
CS Dept., KAIST, Taejon, 305-701    Fax     : +82-42-869-5554
South Korea                         Cellular: 011-285-0064
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too
 young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15
 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they
 took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"

                                 --Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation
----- End forwarded message -----