Re: [squid-users] more dns problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:21:49 +0100

On Friday 23 November 2001 13.16, Proescholdt, timo wrote:

> I think itīs internal DNS as i did not change such a setting.
> Can you tell me about the differences between the internal
> and external setting?

In this specific context:

The internal one has access to the DNS TTL information. The external blindly
uses the DNS TTL you set in squid.conf.

> What i noticed playing around with tcpdump und snoop
> ist, that once i start a request from by browser, a
> dns request from squid to server 1 ( which is down ) is
> made, after 4 minutes a second request is send to server 2

Odd..

Can you try if the Squid-2.5 snapshots behaves better? There has been some
changes in how the DNS timeouts are managed.

> What i notice again and again, is that for 1 (one ) Page,
> depending on the number of ( pictures , html pages and so on)
> on the page between 10 - an 30 dns requests for the record
> are sent from the cache to the nameserver.

The internal DNS will send multiple queries in parallell if it doesn't have a
valid cached DNS entry and there is multiple parallell requests.

> Maybee these two problems belong together?

Maybe, or somehow the TTL's get messed up before reaching Squid (or
misunderstood by Squid).

> A cannot confirm that reverse lookups are made, but even
> if, the secondary nameserver is secondary for the
> 4[0,1].168.192.in-addr.arpa. zones as well and can
> answer PTR queries. ( i tested ).

So you have neither of dig or tcpdump?

> maybe it is a solution to install a caching only nameserver,
> hwo handels the reloving transparently for the squid?

Should improve things somewhat.. but the basic problem still needs to be
solved.

MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support
Priority support or Squid enhancements available on request