Re: [squid-users] more dns problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:57:33 +0100

On Saturday 24 November 2001 15.28, Proescholdt, timo wrote:

> i saw you writing about DNS_TTLīs in squid.conf,
> can you tell me what specific options you are
> thinking off ?
>
> I only have the negative and positive caching ttls in
> my configuration file.

This is what I am talking about. But is not used much by the internal DNS
client implementation as it has access to the real DNS TTL data. The external
DNS client implementaiton has to use these as it does not have access to the
real DNS TTL information.

> < So you have neither of dig or tcpdump?
>
> My internal nameservers are bind 8 on solaris 8
> and in this version there is no dig installed.
> But i tested the ttls for the according RR's
> on a somewhere further firewall host, and
> they seemed to be ok.

You do not need to run dig on the actual name server. Any station in your
network is fine. The nameserver to use is one of the parameters to dig.

> tcpdump is installed and working fine (-:

So what kind of lookups are tcpdump reporting?

MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support
Priority support or Squid enhancements available on request