RE: [squid-users] Best OS for Squid to handle maximum load/connections/second ?

From: David Wilson <dave@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:04:52 +0200

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian [mailto:hiryuu@envisiongames.net]
Sent: 27 November 2001 07:15
To: David Wilson; Squid-Users@Squid-Cache. Org
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Best OS for Squid to handle maximum
load/connections/second ?

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 08:05 am, David Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I'm looking
> for your opinions or experience that you may have had with Squid on
> various platforms, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Linux etc etc.
> Many thanks.

Generally speaking, use the Unix-like OS you're most comfortable with (be
it FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, etc). If you tune them well, you can get good
performance from any of them.

Strictly speaking, a well tuned Linux 2.4/Reiserfs/aufs seems to be the
most efficient mix for high traffic squids. FreeBSD w/softupdates isn't
far behind.

        -- Brian