[squid-users] Vedr.: Re: [squid-users] headers.. how to override them - so that it caches the url?

From: Klavs Klavsen <ktk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:08:56 +0100

I must disagree with you..

If you are talking about squid as a web proxy.. then yes.. but when squid
is acting as an origin server - it is very important to be able
to tell browsers and other proxy's out there - NOT to cache.. and some of
them don't necessarily handle Expire: immediately very well..
so one would like to send them a Pragma: No-cache.. but still.. when I
generate this in my backend - I don't want my Reverse Proxy Squid
to NOT cache the pages..

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------
Klavs Klavsen, IT-coordinator and Systems Administrator at
Metropol Online - http://www.metropol.dk
Tlf. 33752700, Fax 33752720, Email ktk@metropol.dk

Private- Email klavs@klavsen.net - http://www.vsen.dk

--------------------[ I believe that... ]-----------------------
It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other
people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do...
That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year
seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and
encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter

By adding further HTTP violation directives and their implementations..
which we are somewhat reluctant to do as directives for overriding these
is very sensitive: If we add directives for overriding these then it is
highly expected that some poor administrator will begin tweaking these
to artificially increase the hit ratio, and then Squid will be blaimed
when users suddendly start to receive each others private information
like bank accounts and other sensitive information.. You are talking
about overriding MUST sections of the HTTP specification, which
effectively makes the thing doing so not a HTTP application as it no
longer complies with the minimum HTTP requirements.

Seriously, this is best addressed by question why the headers are there
in the first place.