[squid-users] Re: Vedr.: Re: [squid-users] headers.. how to override them - so that it cachesthe url?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:25:38 +0100

Klavs Klavsen wrote:

> If you are talking about squid as a web proxy.. then yes..

And a yes it is then. A very strong one.

> but when squid is acting as an origin server - it is very important to be able
> to tell browsers and other proxy's out there - NOT to cache.. and some of
> them don't necessarily handle Expire: immediately very well..
> so one would like to send them a Pragma: No-cache.. but still.. when I
> generate this in my backend - I don't want my Reverse Proxy Squid
> to NOT cache the pages..

I partly agree, but even then it has to be done in controlled manners.
The interactions between a origin server and it's surrogate cache needs
to be thought over proper, and then some time needs to be spent on
having Squid and the origin servers implement these interactions
correcly. So far noone has been willing to put the effort or resources
needed to complete such a task for Squid. Such a task, if done proper,
will result in a checklist on how origin servers SHOULD behave to
interact proper with the surrogate, and a couple ot knobs in Squid to
tune things.

The concern I expressed earlier is that these types of overrides does
not ever belong in a proxy, and even having the possibility to enable
them may be bad enought. There is a very obvious conflict between the
two applications of Squid.