Re: [squid-users] Vedr.: Re: Vedr.: Re: [squid-users] headers.. how to override them - so that it cachesthe url?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:55:27 +0100

On Thursday 29 November 2001 11.28, Klavs Klavsen wrote:

> I can tell you what we are doing with squid - as a reverse proxy.

I know perfectly well what you are doing. Read my answer again.

I wrote (slightly corrected for spelling errors):

> I partly agree, but even then it has to be done in controlled manners.
> The interactions between a origin server and it's surrogate cache needs
> to be thought over proper, and then some time needs to be spent on
> having Squid and the origin servers implement these interactions
> correctly. So far no one has been willing to put the effort or resources
> needed to complete such a task for Squid. Such a task, if done proper,
> will result in a checklist on how origin servers SHOULD behave to
> interact proper with the surrogate, and a couple of knobs in Squid to
> tune things.
>
> The concern I expressed earlier is that these types of overrides does
> not ever belong in a proxy, and even having the possibility to enable
> them may be bad enough. There is a very obvious conflict between the
> two applications of Squid.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Explanations:

surrogate cache -> The cache in a server acting as a surrogate for the real
server

surrogate -> a server acting as a surrogate for another server, for example
by reverse proxying.

--
MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support