Re: [squid-users] ICQ and Squid

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:36:26 +0000 (GMT)

my guess is u are using some kind of UNIX.. Linux or
otherwise..... if so, then u should not try to
associate the operation of your ICQ, MSN or whatever
with your squid server....

if u are using IPchains or IPtables, u probably are
doing some kind of masquerading.. this allows u to
transparently pass internet-based packets as though
each of your LAN machines were directly connected to
the internet, with a public IP address....

Squid will only handle your HTTP requests/packets..
MSN and ICQ, on the other hand, use different
ports/protocols, and will be handled by your
firewall/masquerading technique..... all u have to do
is: don't enable MSN's, ICQ's or any other program's
proxy options, and have your UNIX gateway/squid server
as the default gateway to all your client machines...
when u try to connect ICQ or MSN to the net..they will
connect automatically, bypassing the squid process
like as though it wasn't there...

good luck..

AKNIT

 --- Rafael Bayona <linuxquestions@rebayona.com>
wrote: > Thank to you guys, specially Henrik, my squid
proxy