[squid-users] Rép. : Re: [squid-users] Squid performance survey

From: Nicolas Neveur <nicolas.neveur@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:29:28 -0400

Hi,
First, thanks to everybody for responding to my little survey.

Here are my specs for our current proxy:

Hardware

CPU (kind and speed) : dual PIII 1 GHz , intel board

Memory : 3 Gig

HardDisk(kind, how many, filesystem and configuration) : 3 18gig scsi
160, Novell traditional SYS: CACHE01: CACHE02:

Network(speed and how many) : 1 intel pro 10/100

Software

OS (distribution and version) : Novell 6 sp1

Squid (version) : BorderManager 3.7 sp1

RAM Cache in squid config (how many and cache replacement policy) : na

Disk Cache in squid config (how many, filesystem and cache replacement
na
policy) :

URL filter (kind and version) : SurfControl

Performance

How many clients on your network : 8000

How many connexions on squid (average and peek) : 2000 , 3500

How many HTTP Requests per seconde (average and peek) : 300, 1500

Oldest cache buffer data : 5 min.

Nicolas Neveur
Technicien informatique
Sécurité et surveillance du réseau
Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys

(514) 855-4690
mailto:Nicolas.Neveur@csmb.qc.ca

Nicolas Neveur wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I like to get perfomance info about yours squid systems !!!
> I am looking on Squid to replace are BorderManager proxy, but I need
> stats to convince my boss that Squid will do better.

What we need from you is

 * Amount of HTTP traffic you need to sustain (preferably measured as
requests/s). If you today run another proxy such as Bordermanager then
finding this information should be pretty easy by looking at the
statistics from the current proxy.

 * Type of hardware you have available in CPU, Memory and drives.

Then we can advise you on how to best configure Squid and what kind of
tunings may be required for your situation.

Just giving random quotes of hardware and performance does not give
very
much.

--
Free Squid-users support provided by Henrik Nordström
<hno@squid-cache.org>