Re: [squid-users] Caching PHP thru Squid Reverse Proxy

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:07:30 -0800

James Stewart wrote:

>I have Squid set up as a reverse proxy pointing back to an Apache/PHP
>web server. I'm trying to convince squid to cache the output of PHP
>scripts but with mixed success.
>
>I've reduced my test to a basic script that runs phpinfo();. When I
>connect to the page via my squid reverse proxy this seems to result in a
>mem_hit using IE but a miss when I use Firefox.
>
>Does anybody know why there would be a difference based on which browser
>I use? Any suggestions on how to make Squid cache php consistently?
>
>Thanks,
>
>James

What is important here is how you are requesting the page. Having the
page open in Firefox, and hitting reload will cause a "Cache-Control:
max-age=0" header to be sent which requires revalidation of the page in
question (see
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Issues/reload-operations.html).

Use one of the cacheability engines if possible, or set your browser
cache to 0 (both mem and disk) and surf to the page using a bookmark.

Chris