Re: [squid-users] SQUID TRANSPARENT PROXY USING DYNAMIC IP(DIAL UP CONNECTION)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:15:34 +0100

See the Squid FAQ. It has a whole chapter on transparent proxying.

The use of Squid does not require a client. Squid is a HTTP proxy, not a
SOCKS or WINSOCKS proxy. HTTP proxies is supported by all browsers and most
other HTTP programs.

If the Java applet uses HTTP to speak to the chat server then it should work
just fine (exception: Java in older versions of Netscape does not trust
proxies, and may need to have a setting manually modified for Java to work
via HTTP proxies. See Netscape documentation)

Also, as you are asking about transparent proxying, you should know that
there is also techniques like Masquerade that will allow your internal
network to access any Internet resource without the need of any client even
if you are using private IP addresses internally.

Squid Hacker