Re: [squid-users] Cache_dir, Cache_mem & Linux swap.

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:44:58 +0100

[sorry for the late response]

On Friday 02 November 2001 09.11, Palmer J.D.F. wrote:

> 1). I have 6 18Gb discs in the machine, my initial plan was to have 1
> System, 1 for logs and 4 for cache_dir.
> Would I be better off 5 for cache_dir and putting the system & logs onto
> the same disk?
> Or any other recommendations?

Either is fine I think. But don't mix logs or swap with cache.

> 2). I have 3Gb of RAM in each of these servers, so how much cache_mem
> should I be looking at setting?

Not too much. There usually is limits in how much memory a single process can
use when approaching these RAM sizes..

> 3). As a rule of thumb in the past I have set Linux swap as twice the
> amount of ram, surely I'm not going to set 6Gb, so what amount of swap
> would you recommend, if any?

Linux-2.4 really likes to have at least the same amount of swap as ram. If
you have less you can run into really wierd situations (seems to have
improved a lot in the later Linux-2.4 releases however..).

--
MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support