Re: [squid-users] Heavy CPU usage

From: <stan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:22:30 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:30:30AM -0800, stan@bort.gps.caltech.edu wrote:
>
> > I've been seeing this on my machines, too. I run a Squid as an
> > accelerator. My old setup had an AMD K6-2/500 with 256MB and a single
> > 9GB fast wide SCSI disk. It was able to handle 250 reqs/sec and the
> > CPU was about 50% busy. Then I upgraded the system to an Athlon. I
> > kept all the other parts the same, just changing the motherboard and
> > CPU. Now with the Athlon, I get almost 100% CPU busy at about 100
> > reqs/sec. This seems odd. Nothing else has changed. Any ideas?
> > I'm running FreeBSD with soft updates enabled.
>
> Have you tried any of the previous suggestions? How about vmstat?

I've tried compiling with and without time-hack. According to vmstat,
the machine is spending about half its time in sys mode, and half in
user. The load on the machine in terms of the size of the requests has
not changed.

--
Stan Schwarz                | Extreme sports...offer "some kind of physical
System Administrator        | analog to the thrill of installing Linux or